


My 5th graders last year read their quarterly novel. The media Specialist and myself worked together to set up a glogster account for each student. We saved their id on their login card and allowed them to work on their glog twice a week. Here are some of the finals products. They are a little hard to read. I took a screen shot of them, because I set the glog as private. I felt like it was important that their identity was protected. They used their voices to record an audio file of the summary of the book. They also used Askforkids.com to search for images that they could use. They really had fun finding links, pictures and creating an audio recording for their glog. I was very impressed they did a great job with their glogs.
Technical Features:
At first it is very finicky to play around with, you need patience and practice time. I really had to play around with the site long before I introduced this "poster" to my students.
Check out these awesome websites for more help:
I like this video on YouTube
After you figure it out for yourself and present it to your students, they pretty much get the hang of it right away. I was very surprised when they were working how much detail they put into them, and their excitement level!
Try it, you won't be disappointed.
My kids glogs turned out great as well. I really liked the final products with pictures, graphics, audio, and even video. My Spanish 4 students used Glogster as a project option for various types of Spanish music, dance, art, and literature. It was actually a great talking point for their presentation.
ReplyDeleteThe only other issue that I found (sorry it doesn't relate to anyone else) is that there is not a way to put accents on words. Sometimes copying and pasting from Microsoft Word works, and sometimes and it doesn't! Most times it's not worth the hassle!
I'm getting all sorts of ideas for my Alt. Resources project this year. To decrease the monotony as much as possible, I'd like to offer them as many different project options as possible. Glogster has just made the list. Tell me though, how long does this thing take? And where did you have them find the pictures?
ReplyDeleteAlso, are these examples from your students or just ones that you found?
ReplyDeleteSherri- These are my 5th grade students examples. Yes making a glog takes a while. They really have to play around with them and make them their own. It can be very annoying at times, but in the end it turns out great.
ReplyDelete@Leslie- I never thought about accents and using different languages. I am sure if you e-mail them they might give you more help?
ReplyDeleteSarah, these look awesome! I know you said it takes a long time to get used to and create, about how many sessions did this take your students? Thanks!
ReplyDelete@Cara- We worked 2 times a week for about a month. So about 8 sessions. We did a little piece at a time.
ReplyDeleteSarah, this is incredible! I love the idea of allowing students to use this program as an end of a unit activity. I'm amazed that it only took about 8 times to make sure wonderful pieces. What guidelines did you give your students when working on this project? Do you think Glogster could work with the younger grades as well?
ReplyDelete@Megan- the guidelines were simple- title, author, one outside link to a website (like the author's page). A picture of the cover page, audio recording of the book- either a review or a summary. Then they could add details as they wanted. I think since this was something fun they worked harder on it. We shared them on the morning announcements, they were super excited.
ReplyDeleteGlogs can be used with anyone. With grades younger than 3rd, I would have them work together. Maybe a team can work on one together.