Saturday, January 1, 2011
Read a book in a minute
Sound too good to be true? Well I thought so until I found this site Book-A-Minute. It takes children's bed time stories, classic novels, and fantasy novels and creates a quick summary of the story. I wasn't really sure what the point of this website was. I think it takes the fun out of reading any great novel, but then I had a thought. To use this in the classroom I could have them read a famous children's classic story and create a quick summary like this website and create our own Book A Minute project. For example the website has the Mitten by Jan Brett summarized as " Sometimes, if you leave a mitten outside, large animals will crawl inside it and sneeze." I thought how simple yet very creative way to show a condensed summary of a story. The students would have to read the story first and then create the summary. This might work best if they work in partners or teams.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a fun idea! It's like a tweet summary of a book. Or, those skits where they condense popular movies/stories into a one-minute play. I could really see this as a great tool for younger kids.
ReplyDeleteMy students have the HARDEST time with summarizing. They either give way too little or, more frequently, they want to give an entire retelling with way too many details. I really like this & could see using it with my class as examples of good summaries or maybe as an agree/disagree discussion.
ReplyDeleteI love this, my students have a difficult time with summarizing as well and I am going to work on that with The Mitten this week. We will have to take a look at this later in our author study.
ReplyDelete